top of page
- Thu, Nov 09McClung Natural History MuseumNov 09, 2023, 3:45 PM – 6:00 PMMcClung Natural History Museum, 1327 Cir Park Dr, Knoxville, TN 37996, USAJoin Tennessee-based AppSciComm members for a special tour of the malacology collection at the McClung Natural History Museum, followed by a stroll to the University of Tennessee Herbarium.
- Thu, Nov 02PittsburghNov 02, 2023, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PMPittsburgh, 4400 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USAJoin fellow AppSciComm members in-person for a special behind-the-scenes look at some of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History's famed collections.
- Thu, May 18ZoomMay 18, 2023, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMZoomAppSciComm member and Pittsburgh-based environmental reporter Kristina Marusic wrote and published A New War on Cancer through Island Press. How did she do it?
- Tue, May 09PittsburghMay 09, 2023, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PMPittsburgh, 4754 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USAAppSciComm is thrilled to co-host a book launch party for Kristina Marusic in celebration of her nonfiction book, A New War on Cancer! Kristina will be in conversation with Dani Wilson, Executive Director of the Cancer and Environment Network of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Tue, Apr 11ZoomApr 11, 2023, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PMZoomDo cultural institutions evolve and change like living organisms? Carnegie Mellon University professor Simon DeDeo uses supercomputing and ideas borrowed from biological evolution to analyze the history and relationships of over 400 religions worldwide.
- Thu, Mar 23ZoomMar 23, 2023, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EDTZoomEver wonder how to launch public webinars about science? This presentation will give tips on how to find a niche for your series and set it up for success, and how to run each webinar as smoothly as possible.
- Tue, Dec 13ZoomDec 13, 2022, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMZoomErin Hare, Ph.D., is a Vice President of Science Writing at the Manhattan-based boutique PR firm Chandler Chicco Agency. Formerly a neuroscience researcher, a freelance science journalist and a PIO, Erin will share how she found her way down a winding path from bench science to agency life.
- Tue, Nov 15ZoomNov 15, 2022, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMZoomLori Kersey, city and county reporter at the Gazette-Mail in Charleston, W.Va., will discuss switching from journalist to public information officer and back – it is possible!
- Tue, Oct 11ZoomOct 11, 2022, 4:00 PM – Oct 12, 2022, 5:00 PMZoomAfter more than a decade of freelancing, Karen Weintraub joined the staff of USA Today. Hear her thoughts on how/why she made the leap.
- Tue, Sep 13ZoomVirtual Fall Career Development Series: Career Insights from AppSciComm’s Science Writers Board CandidateSep 13, 2022, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMZoomAna Gorelova, Ph.D., will discuss her journey from bench scientist to PIO
- Sat, Aug 27Laurel CavernsAug 27, 2022, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PMLaurel Caverns, 1065 Skyline Dr, Farmington, PA 15437, USADo you enjoy geology, adventure, or just plain getting dirty? This is the event for you! Come to Laurel Caverns for a special behind-the-scenes speleology experience, with the option to explore a "wild" cave.
- Tue, May 04ZoomMay 04, 2021, 4:00 PMZoomIn this Q&A, Denise and Katie will share how they make complicated science topics easy to understand for a wide audience across the nation.
- Wed, Apr 07ZoomApr 07, 2021, 4:00 PMZoomPaleontologist Curtis Marean will discuss how a now-extinct ecosystem in South Africa contributed to the emergence of hyper-social homo sapiens
bottom of page