top of page
- Thu, Mar 23ZoomEver wonder how to launch public webinars about science? This presentation will give tips on how to find a niche for your series and set it up for success, and how to run each webinar as smoothly as possible.
- Tue, Dec 13ZoomErin Hare, Ph.D., is a Vice President of Science Writing at the Manhattan-based boutique PR firm Chandler Chicco Agency. Formerly a neuroscience researcher, a freelance science journalist and a PIO, Erin will share how she found her way down a winding path from bench science to agency life.
- Tue, Nov 15ZoomLori Kersey, city and county reporter at the Gazette-Mail in Charleston, W.Va., will discuss switching from journalist to public information officer and back – it is possible!
- Tue, Oct 11ZoomAfter more than a decade of freelancing, Karen Weintraub joined the staff of USA Today. Hear her thoughts on how/why she made the leap.
- Tue, Sep 13ZoomVirtual Fall Career Development Series: Career Insights from AppSciComm’s Science Writers Board CandidateAna Gorelova, Ph.D., will discuss her journey from bench scientist to PIO
- Sat, Aug 27Laurel CavernsDo you enjoy geology, adventure, or just plain getting dirty? This is the event for you! Come to Laurel Caverns for a special behind-the-scenes speleology experience, with the option to explore a "wild" cave.
- Sun, Oct 17241 Orr Rd, Upper St Clair, PA 15241, USACatch and tag migratory birds with local conservation biologist, Nick Liadis
- Tue, Jul 06ZoomA panel discussion with Astrobotic CEO John Thornton and Near Earth Autonomy CTO & Co-Founder Lyle Chamberlain
- Tue, May 04ZoomIn this Q&A, Denise and Katie will share how they make complicated science topics easy to understand for a wide audience across the nation.
- Tue, Apr 13Gather TownMeet colleagues who belong to the long-running DC Science Writers Association while sipping your beverage of choice from the comfort of your own home.
- Wed, Apr 07ZoomPaleontologist Curtis Marean will discuss how a now-extinct ecosystem in South Africa contributed to the emergence of hyper-social homo sapiens
- Tue, Feb 23ZoomIn this Q&A on all things audio, Kathleen will field questions about how she got her start in radio, what it's like working on a national show, and the wild west of podcasting.
- Mon, Nov 23ZoomDr. Ruby Mendenhall will discuss efforts to create resiliency and well-being to counter oppression and inequality in U.S. society.
- Fri, Sep 11ZoomAppSciComm talks to Science mag's Jon Cohen about the challenges of reporting on a global pandemic in an era of preprints and politicization of facts.
- Wed, Jul 22ZoomWhy Black Americans are losing limbs at three times the rate of whites.
- Sat, May 09Laurel CavernsA morning tour of a "developed cave" led by Dave Cale, owner of Laurel Caverns, followed by a lunch break/presentation by cave science experts, and then a "wild cave" tour at the back of the largest cave system (by volume, at least!) in Pennsylvania.
- Sat, Oct 26Nittany Lion Inn, Writing Room 1
- Wed, Jun 19White Whale BookstoreAuthor and Pitt Johnstown journalism faculty Marissa Landrigan will read from her most recent book, "The Vegetarian's Guide to Eating Meat" - part memoir, part investigational journalism. Free and open to the public.
bottom of page